Hello, everyone! This is a new blog series based around an initiative I’m taking with my alumni association, the Ghost Cat alumni association. The Launch Codes project is, essentially, based around being more forward facing with the process of creating art, both the good parts and the messy parts and the bad parts. Part of that is going to be check-ins such as blog posts and video posts. For me I’ve decided that this means doing a weekly update of what I got done for the week, what I’m planning for the week, what went well, and what didn’t. These will post on Thursday or Friday of every week, depending on my schedule. Then, at the end of every month, I will be doing a video round-up of the whole month on the same general topics! You can watch the initial launch video below:
This post is going to be a little different, and a little longer, than the typical post, which will look like this:
Accomplished this week:
- This week I worked heavily on my illustration I’ve dubbed the Corpse Pile because, well, it’s a pile of preserved dead people. I got the basic colors down on all the figures and got the lighting decently established, so now I can go in and work on polishing everything up and actually painting. This is easily the most complex illustration I’ve ever done due to the amount of figures in it, so I’m learning a lot and having a ton of fun with it. My goal is to finish it within the next couple weeks.
- Started tearing apart my newest novel, Bound by Kith, with my writing critique group. They’re wonderful and going to make the book so much better.
- Worked on the illustration for the first chapter of my first book. I’m experimenting with doing timelapses of illustrations for each chapter with me narrating the chapter over the timelapse. If it goes well, and people like it, I’d like to eventually do the whole book, so we’ll see how this first test of the idea goes!
- Nearly done with the thumbnails for Part 1 of my comic project Gunpowder & Pine. I have about 5-8 pages left to thumbnail, and then I can start working on pages!
- Sent out my first newsletter of the year. My goal is to do one a month this year, and if you want to sign up you can do so on my website. The newsletter will be a round up of my month, announcing appearances at conventions and info about them such as table numbers, discounts in my online stores, etc.
Meant to get done this week, didn’t get done:
- Meant to finish the illustration for the first chapter mentioned above, but ended up getting busy with other work. (Mostly the corpse pile illustration, because I’m having so much fun with it.)
- Meant to finish the the thumbnails for G&P, but again got distracted by the corpse pile. Such distracting corpses they are.
Goals for next week:
- Next week is going to be a huge week of edits on Bound by Kith, because even though my critique group has only chewed up the first two chapters so far, there’s already a lot I know I want to rework.
- Finishing the thumbnails for G&P.
- Working on the corpse pile.
- I may work on the chapter illustration some, but that’s a bit more of a back-burner project.
So, yes! That’s the little doses of my artistic life you’ll be getting every week for 2018! I hope you all find it interesting, and please don’t hesitate to ask any questions about my projects or my methods or anything else.
Also, here’s my goals for all of 2018. Let’s see if I can actually make it through all of them! The main goals are listed first, and then sub-goals needed to accomplish the main goal are listed beneath the main goals.
- Publish BBK 2
- Create new chapter header illustrations
- Create cover
- Do layout
- Upload to Ingram Spark
- Create Book Trailer (maybe)
- Publish GaP Volume 1
- Pages 1-5
- Pages 6-10
- Pages 11-15
- Pages 16-20
- Pages 21-25
- Pages 26-30
- Pages 30+
- Upload to Ingram Spark
- Send newsletters out once a month. Will contain updates on each project, new blog posts, previews of stuff not yet posted, con appearance info, etc. Add some exclusive discounts/giveaways too.
- Post more progress works.
- Do weekly blog round-ups of what has been accomplished each week, and what will be accomplished next week.
- Do monthly video round-ups of what has been accomplished each month, and what will be accomplished next month.
- Do chapter readings + painting time-lapse videos for each chapter of BBK1. (Do full book if people enjoy them.)
- Do at least six video tutorials throughout the year
- Brush modes/sketching in Photoshop
- Walkthrough of my comic process
- Using Lazy Nezumi for Perspective drawing
- Using Art boards in Photoshop for keeping track of references
- Write 1st draft of Haunt
- Write 1st draft of BBK3
- Finish sculpture of Dustin and Vivian